Sunday, January 2, 2011

Prepping for Surgery

Hi Everyone,

Its been a tough 6 months with Dialysis, surgeries, lack of sleep, working full time, and trying to just keep it together, but we've almost made it. I thought I would write out a few of the logistic details that've been keeping me busy.

Surgery will be at  NY Columbia Presbyterian in NYC on Wednesday, January 5th at 8am.

Day of surgery: I will report to The Milstein Family Heart Center, 173 Fort Washington Avenue (entrance is adjacent to Milstein Hospital Building) at 6:00 a.m.

The surgery is 3 hours or so, but it will be more like 6 hours that I will not be with my family - this includes pre and post op.

I will not be in ICU - i will stay in the recovery area until I am placed in a room - these rooms are not private in the Transplant unit, but will be shared with another family.
During Hospital Stay- I will be on the Transplant Unit located in Milstein Hospital, 7 Hudson South (212-305-2332)

Fresh Flowers and Plants are NOT permitted on the transplant unit, please advise all friends and family. If you have any questions, you can call transplant office at 212-305-6469

Post Surgery-
a. I will be swollen – they said don’t be alarmed my cheeks, fingers etc.. will look like they will pop, this is normal.

b. My Catheter bag will be bloody for several days, don’t be alarmed – donors is clear, recipients is full of blood –this is normal

c. I will only get ice chips – not fluid or food for first day or so

I will be in Hospital 5days or so, my gracious donor will be in for about 2 days.


Lori Ferguson will be updating my friends/co-workers etc daily – email is lorielise@gmail.com

       We are doing this to help prevent so many calls to the nurses station - we want the nurses caring for the patients themselves and from so many calls going out to my family to help reduce stress.

Thanks for all of your support and more to come.

Melissa (or Lori after Wednesday for a while).

No comments:

Post a Comment