Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dialysis Training Days 1-3

Well, I am on day 3 of Dialysis training and its been a gem let me tell you.

There are 2 types of training they are doing - Manual (with an IV stand and solution bags) and then with the Machine. You need to learn both types incase you drop your machine, power outages, etc..

Day 1 and 2 were manual and it was pretty easy for me to pick up and I've been doing it by myself.
Day 3- first day on the Machine.

Normally they train in 8 days and send you home to try manually for 1 month before they even show you a machine. I am doing it all in 5 1/2 days both Manual and Machine.

1. They are filling your belly with fluid that isn't normally there - so its stretching. It takes 9 months for a belly to stretch to accomidate for a baby, so imagine us doing an expedited dialysis training in 1 week - not a great feeling.   I can't handle as much fluid as they would like since i get nascious, very bloated and feel smothered and having trouble breathing. They think its a space issue and think that maybe my heart surgery from years before that there may be a hernia where my drian tube/incision was...so more complications to monitor.

2.  Pelvic Pain - The end of the catheter in my belly is by the bladder and uteris. So when we are draining all the fluid out of me (when the fluid is dwelling or sitting inside of me, the dialysis is occuring) at the very end the pain in my pelvic region is so severe that i am hunched over, white knuckled, and teared up. Once we turn off the drain it takes a few minutes for it to subside. They say not all patients get this, but due ot the location of the catheter it happens and it should subside eventually over time. Men don't have this problem since their privates are outside their body and they have more room inside to do PDialysis. Lucky them.

So, we will see how it goes moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment